Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Is This Dog Good With Kids?

Is This Dog Good With Kids?


Very few dogs dislike kids. What dogs dislike is being sat on, hit, poked, carried around like a stuffed toy, having their ears and tails pulled, or being otherwise abused. Would you like these things? Probably not. Be aware: Abuse is still abuse, whether the perpetrator means it that way or not. A puppy who is tossed into the air and injured has been abused, whether the tosser is an adult or an unsupervised two year-old. So rather than ask a rescuer, "Is this dog good with kids?", ask yourself the following:

  1.  Have I taught my child that animals are sentient beings with feelings?
  2. Have I taught my child to treat animals with respect?
  3. Is my child old enough to understand that he is capable of hurting an animal? And that an animal who is being hurt is not at fault for defending itself?
  4. Have I arranged to give my pet a safe place in our home where my child may not approach him?
  5. Is my child old enough to recognize a pet as a responsibility, not a toy?
  6. Am I committed to constantly supervising all interaction between my very young child and our pet?

If you answered "Yes" to every question, you're ready to introduce a pet to your family. If the answer to even one question is "No", you need to consider waiting until your child is a more appropriate age.


Source: helpsaveone from MO Pug Rescue

No comments:

Post a Comment